Greece

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Ya-Sue!

That's Greek for hello. I think I know about 4 Greek words on my second day here in Greece. After I wrote you all last night, I wandered around, taking in the scenery, and went to a cafe to have some baklava before turning in for the night. Yum. Before I went to bed I watched CNN for a moment, and every segment started with "Well there is no World Cup game today. The next game is Friday." So apparently, nothing else is going on in the world!

So I sort slept in today. I didn't wake up until 2pm! I was happy though because today was "Katie visits the Acropolis Day" and the best times to visit are in the morning and at sunset. I made my way up, stopped to have a Greek salad, and viewed the Parthenon and other ancient spots like the Aggra. It was just beautiful and up on the Acropolis is one of the best 360 degree views of Athens. It is also the mecca of friendly tourists who ask one another to take each other's pictures. I met people from California, Baltimore, and NY.

I haven't so much figured out the whole map and streets quite yet. I look up to see the Acropolis and navigate my way there. I know that my hotel is near this giant church and I figured out how to get there from the vicinity of the Acropolis and I eat and shop at the places in between. When I finish writing this, I'm going to attempt to find my first "Lonely Planet" recommended place but I may never get there. It is a cheap taverna with really good food apparently. I tried to ask another restaurant waiter for directions to the street and he said, "Why are you going there?" My response - "I'm meeting someone." :)

I love Athens in the night (I really wouldn't know what it is like in the morning, would I?)

I leave for the port city of Pireaus tomorrow to board my ferry to Greece. I'm not sure if I will have much internet access in the small towns where I will be staying in Crete. I will be ready for some companionship though. I have definitely enjoyed traveling by myself (no regret sleeping in late) but I think I'll enjoy some company after day three.

Peace out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful and relaxing, Sleeping Beauty! Thanks for keeping us updated on your adventure thus far. Have a great night and a safe passage on the ferry.

Blessings, Jaimee

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie!!!! I am dying to be there! Sounds WONDERFUL! Wow. Food, scenery, adventure-- sounds like a great trip so far. I, on the other hand, am at camp. Today I told some teenage girls to stop brushing their teeth at the water fountain. Camp is awesome. :) I am sitting in that coffee shop where we went using my computer, which makes me happy. I am so excited that things have gone smoothly so far. I can't wait for you to get to kayak.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home