
Sweaty! I am sweaty. It is very nice to be in the a/c as I write you all. I have had quite a "morning" and David sisters mean afternoon when we say "morning." So after checking out of my hotel, (don't worry they let me keep my large pack at the hotel until I leave tonight), I actually headed in the opposite direction of the Acropolis towards Parliament. I watched the changing of the guards. (I think it is supposed to evoke pride and national loyalty, however they were wearing skirts, tights and had pompoms on their shoes so it all looked a little funny to me.) Next I wandered through the beautiful, lush, and shady National Garden until I reached another side of Athens.
I walked until I stumbled upon my new favorite museum in the world! It is called the Greek Childrens Art Museum and the picture I have posted is from one of the Greek children. It was bright and colorful and the self portraits were hilarious.
I then went to the Museum of Greek Folk Art. Boring. I got a little lost leaving that museum. Using the Acropolis as a guide proved to be flawed because there are many places in Athens from where you can view the Acropolis. So after my scenic sweaty walk, I headed back to a cafe with a tv (there you go Aimee) to see what time the World Cup was on today. The old man told me 6pm and gave me kisses on both cheeks. Wow, guess he likes the World Cup too.
So now I have sought refuge in the internet cafe.
I really do love my neighborhood in Athens - called Plaka. There are cafes everywhere and Greek people sit and drink and talk all day long. I have found that it is hard to get a waiter to take your order, but after he takes it the food comes immediately, but then it is difficult to get his attention to pay the bill. Go figure.
I ate my way through the night last night. I usually stay out until 10 or 11pm just hanging out at cafes, watching people. I actually made it to the lonely planet recommended restaurant last night - it was good and cheap and hard to find tucked away on a hidden street though it was in the middle of Plaka. Today I had my first gyro - yum.
Thank you all for responding to my blog. I love reading your messages!
Tonight I'll be on the ferry to Crete. I think I arrive at 5:30 am and will then take a bus or taxi to the town of Matala.
Peace out.

3 Comments:
Katie: This is so exciting to know what you are up to in Greece!!!.... thanks to a new modem. I am enjoying your diary especially hearing of places I have studied. Will be waiting to hear about Crete and your next adventures. I love you,Mom
take lots of pictures! i am insanely jealous. wanna go back next summer and be my tourguide?
i am officially no longer a charlottesville resident as of today. here's to being vagabonds!
i like your exodus theme. look out for pillars of clouds. (and take a picture...I always wondered what that meant...)
love you. bp
Kalimera, Δικαθαρινα!
Evharisto for keeping us up-to-date on your Hellenic adventure. Isn't Athens awesome. I stayed right in the Plaka when I was there as well.
Reedy told me about your blog, I haven't checked my school e-mail in a while. Anyways, if you have time, the hike up to St. George's church on Lycabettus Hill is totally worth it.
καλη τυχη!
Post a Comment
<< Home