HardCore Nine
What a day! This morning we were told to meet down stairs at 8am ready to paddle. We ate breakfast and then got outfitted for our boats with spray skirts, pfds, paddles, and then took the boats down to the beach where we had a lesson and fitted the boats' foot pedals and seats to each of us. Then, we all had to do a wet exit. So, you are strapped into the boat by your skirt, and you have to purposely flip your boat upside down so you are under water. Then you grab the side of your kayak, feel your way to the release strap, pull out and up, and push out of the boat, grab your boat and your paddle and wait to be rescued. Rescuing someone involves hoisting the boat, upside down, onto your boat (so all the water gets out), yadda yadda yadda until the person launches themselves back up over the boat and shimmies back to the cockpit.
After we were all wet, we took off for some sea caves. Amazing. If that was the only thing we did on this trip, it would be worth it. I had to use my headlamp, and at some points in the cave you had to go single file. The water was crystal clear and you could see large rocks underneath the boats. There were some bats in the first cave, but none in the next thank goodness!
After the sea caves, we headed over to Red Beach (the nudie beach) and slathered ourselves in the magical mud, waited for it to dry, and went swimming. Red Beach is gorgeous and only accessible by foot or boat. We then divided into two groups....the hard core, and the not so hard core.
The not so hard core went back to Matala to have lunch. The hard core, seven of us (out of 22) and two guides took off for a destination that would take over an hour of paddling in open seas to reach. The paddle there, for the most part, was great. We ate at a taverna on the beach, enjoying the view and the breeze. Notice I said breeze. As we walked back down to the boats, we were more aware of the giant swells and white caps that extended as far as you could see. We put our skirts and pfds on and I spoke with Lindsay about how this might be a little hard. She admitted that this was scary.
I sat in my boat facing the waves that were taller than me standing, (no jokes Tiff), and prayed. I was scared. My stomach felt a little queasy facing this challenge. We had a little pep talk from Andrea, we went over wet exits again in case we capsized, and then we got started. This would be our first "surf launch."
Whenever you launch, a guide is the first out and a guide is the last out. Andrea (guide #1) put in and took off like a pro. Adam then came over to me and asked if I was ready to go. I said no. He said okay lets go and started pulling me out. (What?! Why did I have to be first? Was running through my head, but this was the hardcore team, and I didn't want to wimp out.) I think I would have never been ready to tell the truth. So after two waves broke he gave me the final push and I paddled like crazy. The waves were so big that the bow would go up and catch air and than land with a thump back into the water. .. but I made it. I had to stay perpendicular to the waves so I couldn't look back to see the rest of the group. I let out a scream when I got past the breakers. What a thrill!
The rest of the paddle back was rough, we had one capsize and rescue, but then we all made it back safe and sound. We made it back, however, at 5:30pm!!! The nine of us totally bonded over this experience, and I am so glad that I went. I feel like we could do anything because we made it back through those swells.
The people here are really cool and I have made connections with many of them to the point that we know that the world is small. One family is from Miami, and Lindsay went to my elementary school, St. Thomas. One couple I was speaking with about my interest in psychology said that they were both psychology professors (Matt-Clinical, which is what I'm interested in; Deanna-Cognitive), one girl went to Harvard so I talked about Michaella, some are teachers etc...Everyone is keeping up really well.
When we got back to the beach, Nancy (chief) said they pushed the hike back to 6pm. Oh good. More physical activity. Deanna said she felt like we were at fat camp!
Love you all! Too tired to find pictures to post. I may not be able to write for the next few days because we will be leaving Matala and going to more remote places that I doubt will have internet.

4 Comments:
Amazing! Go Katie!
I love your blog - I'm wondering when you are going to get to the entry titled "Buying Tiff's Greek Present"??
Saving the best for last, I suppose.
What did you do for the 4th? I thought of you as I looked out at my green pool(slight algae problem) last night. It was only half way filled and the kids were too afraid to get in it... and I was like, wow, this is just like Greece.
So, really, you can come back now! But I'm so glad you are having a blast - kayaking over treacherous waves and such. I'm confused why you sent me an email about going nude sunbathing and you didn't mention it in the blog??? :) j/k. Have fun! Write more!
Katie: So happy for your to have this exciting time in your life and to have it journaled. Of course you know I am praying for you...especially after your sharing today. I hope your roommate, Kate, is doing better now. Now, I am wondering about your remote places experiences. Thank you Tiff, for your sharing of Katie's email!!! Love you, Mom
Anytime Lou!
Post a Comment
<< Home