We're All Okay
Hi Friends and Family,
I'm writing to you from the little town of Agia Galini. Yesterday was hard in many ways, but we all somehow came out okay. The mileage wasn't hard, though at first Deann and I had a terrible boat that we christened "The F%^&ing D$#@it" :) We got to the 22 mile mark, at the point where we were about to cross the bay, when we hit terrible wind. We ended up having to be towed in by a passing jet skier (praise God he was there because NO ONE was out in boats on the bay yesterday). On our tow in, the rope was attached to my boat and we held onto Melissa's boat. Well, my boat's bow was dragged underwater and we had to jump out of the kayaks and swim to the rocks. They abandoned that plan and started to load people two by two on the jet ski. We climbed the rocks to get to the beach where the jet ski was dropping off other kayakers. I will give you more details individually, and I will try to call home as soon as I can. It was very scary, and I am happy that we are all okay, with only some scratches and bruises. I think I am in shock and I definitely am grateful for the people who I was with as we went through this time together.
I know this is probably a little hard to read, mom and dad, but I wanted you to know that I am okay. I can't wait to be home now! Love you, Katie

2 Comments:
Okay sweetie, sorry you had a hard time, sometimes very scary is the signal to slow down. The jet ski might have been able to get you to the beach at a really slow speed but just like moving back on a kneeboard if you can't change the weight distribution to keep the nose up which you can't do in a kayak, then with even a little speed the bow digs in. You did have a floatation vest on right? Fear and anxiety can't help in that situation, remember swimming to the dam at Camp Cherokee, you were not afraid just determined to do it. Same thing applies wherever you find yourself in the water, cooly assess the situation despite others who may panic, then determine your best course of action and focus on survival with that Katie David HOLY SPIRIT determination. Thank you Jesus. dad p.s. feel free to delete this i'm just being dad.
Dear Katie: I am sooo glad you are OK. Thank you Lord!!! Hope you are now recovering from the fear and shock of it all. Rest and be safe. Hope you don't have to kayak back!!! I am wondering if the guides have ever had anything like this happen on previous trips??? Well this is an experience you will have forever and I think you will use it for good. Can't wait to see you and hug you. I love you so, Mom
Post a Comment
<< Home